What is Source Reduction?
Source reduction, often called ‘waste prevention,’ is any change in the design, manufacturing, purchase, or use of materials or products (including packaging) to reduce their amount or toxicity before they become municipal solid waste. Prevention also refers to the reuse of products or materials. – Environmental Protection Agency
In 15 years, Crown Poly has source reduced over 14.33 million pounds of plastic out of the waste stream from produce bags alone.
With source reduction, waste will not be placed in landfills and it reduces the vicious cycle of treatment processing of recycled products; which involves transportation, oil, gas, etc.
Source reduction is the #1 method of waste management and yet is often ignored by communities around the world!
Source Reduction Achievements
Our Tri-Flex film technology is Crown Poly’s #1 Method of Source Reduction
Tri-Flex fuses together three unique film layers, each with powerful molecules moving in different directions to create the perfect synergy of flexibility and strength.
Tri-flex film won’t leak or tear, NEVER needs to be double-bagged, and reduces the number of bags used by 25% or more!
Our unique proprietary blend of super strong film for Hippo Sak® is stronger than higher gauge commodity bag; however, the gauge on our bags is substantially LOWER than other bags. This blend allows for down gauging which helps our environment via source reduction. For example, just moving from a 7 micron to a 6 micron Pull-N-Pak® bag would mean reducing the amount of plastic by 14%!
How Crown Poly practices Source Reduction:
- Reduce bags used with Pull-N-Pak® by controlling number of bags provided to shoppers from our one bag at a time dispenser
- Reduce bags used with Pull-N-Pak® by providing a large, strong bag that can be filled with more produce
- Reduce bags used with Hippo Sak® Grocery Bag by having Power Strip, which makes the bag stronger so no double bagging is needed – one bag only!
- Reduce bags used with Hippo Sak® Grocery Bag by having Power Strip, which makes the film strength stronger so more items can be loaded into the bag without fear of the bag breaking – fewer bags used!
- Reduce kitchen trash bags used with Hippo Sak® Tall Kitchen Bag, which has Super Strong Film and Power Strip® so the trash can be filled up and thrown out less frequently without fear of ripping. Handles make it easier to lift out of the trash bin also. Fewer Bags used!